From Queens to Mexico City, and pretty much nothing in between.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Man Vs. Food - Sopes

sope
Living in Mexico has really cut into my TV traditions (which is probably a good thing), and while I can still enjoy Seinfeld because it's only subtitled in Spanish, Simpsons and Futurama only appear dubbed in Spanish...and you lose a lot of jokes when you lose the original language. As such, I have turned to Fox Life (who just subs most of its shows) and have rediscovered the wonderful Man Vs. Food to fill up my TV time. This is the only explanation to why I've been wanting to make all of my food much bigger recently.


Man Vs. Food sees a lot of ridiculous-sized Mexican food, but it always seems to be burritos. They've been done, so I've decided on a Man Vs. Sope challenge. Jonatan and I could only eat 1 giant sope each, but we're not professional eaters. When we open our hypothetical Mexican food truck, the sope challenge will be 5 giant sopes and weigh more than 5 pounds (and the salsa is pretty hot, too, to add to the challenge).


To make your own giant sope challenge, you will need:
1.25 kg of masa (250 g each sope)
2 1/2 cups (500g) of salsa (1/2 cup each one)
125g of raw onion, chopped
125g of queso fresco, crumbled
375g of shredded cabbage

sope

I think that the next over-sized Mexican food challenge will be a Oaxacan tamale, based on a giant plantain leaf that I saw on a tree outside of my suegra's house...I have too much free time.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried a Sope before, but this looks delicious, definitely Man vs Food worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, food dude! You should check out the January 24th blog for more info on/recipe for regular-sized sopes.

    I know Adam has gone to Puerto Rico on a semi-international episode, but what do you think are the odds that he would come to Mexico City and/or make a house call?

    ReplyDelete