From Queens to Mexico City, and pretty much nothing in between.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Great Fried Bananas

breaded bananas
I don't know how to categorize these, and I'm not necessarily sure that they belong on my Mexican food blog. But, the more that I think about it, the more I am certain that these should be on every blog, whether it's based on food or on politics. I first (and only) sampled these crunchy, warm bananas for dessert at a Brazilian rodizio here in Mexico City. I've never had them in another churrascaria (and I've been to quite a few), so I don't think they're a Brazilian thing, and I've never had them anywhere else in Mexico, so I don't think it's a Mexican thing. Maybe it's a very specific and wonderful Brazilian-Mexican thing, like Giovani Dos Santos. It doesn't really matter, though; they're delicious.

OK, maybe I'm gushing a bit, but these were just such an unexpected delight for a self-proclaimed "fruit for dessert" hater. It's ultimately just a fried banana, but the crunchy cereal coating, the warm, ripe banana and the cool, creamy Lechera come together to offer a seriously pleasing dessert experience. (Future plans include a pumped up banana split sundae, but that idea is still untested.)

Ingredients
4 ripe bananas
1 cup Frosted Flakes (or Zucaritas, as they call them down here)
1 egg
vegetable oil, for frying
1 can sweetened, condensed milk (La Lechera)

Directions

1 - Peel the bananas and cut each one into three pieces (just a suggestion, you can leave them whole or cut them into several discs, or anything in between).

2 - Crush the frosted flakes in a food processor or by hand in a ziploc bag. Set aside.

3 - Beat the egg well to make an egg wash.

4 - Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.

5 - While the oil is heating, brush the egg wash onto the banana pieces, and roll them in the crushed Frosted Flakes until completely covered.

6 - Fry the coated banana pieces, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan to drain briefly on a paper towel.

7 - Serve warm with a heavy drizzle of Lechera on top.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! It's great to get some feedback from someone who isn't my sister. I'd be happy to join!

    ReplyDelete