From Queens to Mexico City, and pretty much nothing in between.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Horchata

horchata
Today is my best friend's birthday, and, although I'm not shelling out the big bucks to send her a package (or even a card), I thought that there must be something I can do. Yes, next time I go home, I'm going to bring her some microwavable caramel popcorn and a Sponch, of course, but that won't be for several months. Today, acting on a query she made a few months ago, I will provide her with the best horchata recipe ever! (Or at least, the best recipe that I know.) This particular recipe is birthday horchata, which is just like regular horchata, but made with festive birthday spirit.

Horchata is a very popular rice-based drink (yes, rice) in Mexico and throughout Central America; it is another one of Mexico's most popular agua de sabores. Served cold, this is always a refreshing drink, but because of its milkiness, I like to drink it on its own or accompanying something sweet...or at least not something too spicy (they will sit weird together in your stomach).

Ingredients
1/2 cup rice
2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup sugar
6 cups water
1/4 cup lechera

Directions

1 - In a small pot over low heat, cook the rice in the milk and the 2 cups of water with the cinnamon stick. Cook for about 20 - 25 minutes - the rice should be underdone with a bite to it. The rice should not consume all of the liquid.

2 - Put 3 cups of water into a blender. Add the rice mixture with all of the leftover liquid and half of the cinnamon stick. Puree very well, at least 2 minutes.

3 - Place a cheese cloth (or something similar) on top of a pitcher, and pass the blended mixture through to get out any chunks of rice.

4 - Add 3 more cups of water, the sugar and the lechera. Stir well.

5 - Chill well in the refrigerator or serve over ice. Enjoy!

Happy Birthday to my rice-loving best friend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment