From Queens to Mexico City, and pretty much nothing in between.

Monday, May 2, 2011

American Enchiladas

enchiladas
A couple of weeks ago (before I totally slacked off for my pretty lame spring break), I wrote about my reluctance to try authentic Mexican enchiladas - and these delicious American impostors were the reason. Not only are they quick, simple and delicious, but they're also a taste of nostalgia for me. Enchiladas are one of the five meals in my house that didn't come out of the freezer or a nearby restaurant. They're my go-to comfort food for girls' night in. This is the first meal that I cooked for my authentic Mexican boyfriend (and he loved them, by the way - traitor).

This meal is also an homage to some of the best supermarket ingredients out there - without which, these enchiladas would not be possible. The most important element is Old El Paso Hot Enchilada Sauce....ok, maybe Medium or Mild, if you really can't handle it. My favorite (and only) filling is chicken, but my family frequently fills them with refried beans or occasionally Steak'ums. Fill them as you please; it's not really the filling that matters anyway - it's all about the sauce and the cheese!

Ingredients
6 fajita-size flour tortillas (Mission)
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken (from a $5 Costco rotisserie chicken)
2 cans Old El Paso Hot Enchilada sauce
4 cups shredded cheese (Kirkland Fancy Shredded Mexican 4 Cheese Blend)

Directions

1 - Preheat the oven to 375*.

2 - In a glass enchilada dish (as we call them in my family, but it's just a 9"x13" glass tray), empty one can of salsa and cover the bottom completely.

3 - Put 1/4 cup of chicken onto each flour tortilla. Roll them up and place them into the salsa-lined dish, seam down.

4 - Cover the enchiladas evenly with the rest of the sauce.

5 - Sprinkle the cheese on top until the enchiladas are smothered.

6 - Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted, bubbly and a little crunchy around the edges.

7 - Serve with white rice or Chi-Chi's corn cake and chow down. If any are left, they make great leftovers (that's a big if!)

No comments:

Post a Comment