From Queens to Mexico City, and pretty much nothing in between.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Tacos, the Mexican Treat

tacos
Sorry! It's been a while (for those of you who follow - Katie), but I had been experiencing, trying and failing to make one of my Mexican City street favorites - gorditas de chicharon - at home to share with you. After each failed attempt, I went to the corner instead to indulge myself in some professionally made street food.

Of course, the standard and most well-known street food is the taco. And, apart from that one Taco Bell in Monterrey, tacos in Mexico are not what the average gringo thinks they are. First, there is no hard or soft option - tacos are built on soft corn tortillas. Period. I have never seen shredded chicken or ground beef as the meat topping; a shaved pork (al pastor), tripe or pig head are much more common - and extremely popular. As for toppings? Raw onion and cilantro come on the taco, liquid salsas and limes on the side - that's it.

Unfortunately, because I suffer from coda-ness (being cheap), I rarely enjoy the overpriced tacos of Mexico City and instead opt for a torta or the aforementioned gorditas (bang for buck options), when I'm craving street eats. However, when I go to the casi-pueblo of Martinez de la Torre, tacos with cheese are always my first night meal...and my last night meal. And since I'm usually only there on the weekend, it's technically what I eat for dinner every night, a taco-filled vacation. But it has to be that way - I have to fill up while I can. (Martinez de la Torre - 8 tacos al pastor con queso and onion for 35 pesos; Mexico City - just 1 taco al pastor con queso and onion for 20 pesos. No, that doesn't even come close.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I miss tacos so much! Tortas are ok but tacos...nothing we mexicans can't do with a tortilla at hand =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the posts; it's so nice that other people (besides my sister) are finding my blog and commenting! Yeah, I am learning that tortillas are for everything (although I still can't get used to using them instead of spoons!)

    How's the food in England? I went once, but I do not remember being a big fan of the cuisine. I would definitely prefer to be stranded with Mexican cuisine. Hopefully you have found at least one good Mexican restaurant over there!

    ReplyDelete